Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Versatility of Omeletes

I have to admit, I'm pretty partial to pancakes (apple... banana... chocolate chip... mmmm), but every now and then, when I'm in the mood for something different, I'll go for an omelette.  They're easy, full of protein and the possibilities are endless when it comes to ingredients. 
Sunday morning I went through my fridge and was able to round up the following:
  • Sun-dried tomatoes
  • goat cheese 
  • fresh basil
  • red bell pepper
  • 2 eggs
First heat up a drizzle of olive oil in a small non-stick pan.  Then whisk eggs in a small bowl with a tlb or so of milk and set aside.  Once the oil is heated, add all ingredients EXCEPT for the cheese.  (Side Note: I had always mixed the ingredients in with the egg and poured it all in at once, but on my honeymoon, I watched a resort cook make them, and she would always sauteed the ingredients first, it made such a difference! Since eggs cook so quickly, sometimes the ingredients will stay cold, so sauteing before adding the egg is a must).  
After about 3 minutes, give the eggs another quick whisk to reintroduce air bubbles, this makes the omelette nice and fluffy.  (I completely forgot this part during this go-round).  Add the egg to the veggies, sprinkle on the cheese and let cook for about 30 seconds... 


or until the top no longer has that glossy look. Now I had always tried flipping to help cook the egg on top, but then I always end up with more of a scramble then an omelette...


...so I did a little research, and learned that if you cover the pan while the egg is cooking, the steam will help cook the top.  Now, according to Wikipedia, it's normal for the top to be a little raw, but that's just not my style so I think I'll try covering it next time.  Once it's cooked, you fold it in half and serve. 
Overall, the omelette tasted AMAZING. Every flavor was so noticeable, and the goat cheese was an awesome alternative to your regular old shredded cheese.  But like I said, the great thing about omelets is that they're so versatile, so get creative!  Put your thinking cap on! This dish is almost impossible to mess up, and chances are, you've already got a handful of ingredients that would go great together. I will definitely make this again for breakfast OR dinner, and hope you'll give it a try, too!
Cheers!
Claud


P.S. Try it with a grapefruit mimosa - You'll never go back to the traditional version, trust me. 

1 comment:

  1. Love a good omelette! My favorite mix ins are chopped mushroom, asparagus, tomato, artichoke with a little feta.

    ReplyDelete