Wednesday, January 6, 2010

"Healthy" Stromboli?

...Well, not quite.  Let me back up...  Making "healthy" decisions has always been important to me, but last year I set out to make better decisions and get in better shape.  I  became much more aware of what I was eating, and after many hours at the gym, I trimmed off 23 pounds (totally thought that was impossible when I started!).  Ever since then, I've been making an effort to keep it off (although I could probably be doing a better job) by watching what I eat and trying to make healthier meals.


In the midst of all of this, I picked up the Better Homes and Gardens "Dieter's Cookbook," and tonight was the first time I actually used it.  I'm a pizza lover, I mean serious pizza looooover, so of course "Quick Stromboli" seemed perfect for me.   


Better Homes & Garden's "Quick Stromboli"
1 16-ounce loaf frozen wheat or white bread dough, thawed
8 ounces lean ham, thinly sliced
1/4 cup pitted ripe olives, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbsp reduced-fat milk
1 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese (optional)


1. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil; grease foil. Set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll bread dough to a 15x8 inch rectangle. (If dough is difficult to roll out, cover and let rest a few minutes.)  Top dough rectangle with ham within 1/2 inch of the edges.



Top ham with olives, mozzarella, and crushed red pepper flakes. Brush edges with water


*The cheese was left out of the pic...


2. Starting with a long end, roll into a spiral, pinching edges to seal.  Pinch ends and tuck under.  Place, seam side down, on prepared baking pan.  Brush surface with milk. Using a sharp knife, make shallow cuts diagonally a 2-inch intervals along the top to allow steam to escape.  If deisred, sprinkle with Parmesan.




3. Bake in a 375 oven for 25-30 minutes or until brown.  (If necessary, cover loosely with foil after 20 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning.)




Overall it turned out pretty good, but here's a couple of things I noted:


1. Don't forget to make the cuts in the dough. I forgot to do this and after 30 minutes the inside was still uncooked.  I then cut it into slices, covered it in foil and baked it for another 15 minutes, that did the trick.


2. Brush the stromboli with whisked egg whites to give it a golden coat.


3. If you grew up eating Pillsbury biscuits like I did, think twice about using Pillsbury pizza dough.  It worked fine, but to me, it tasted just a little too much like biscuits. If anyone knows a good pizza dough brand, let me know.


4. Serve with marinara - duh!


5. And finally - The recipe which was only 206 calories per serving said it made 16 slices at 2 slices per serving.  I only got about 8, 1-inch slices out of mine (which seems to be about the same size of the picture in the book), and still ate two and a half, so yeah, you do the math. Doesn't seem so healthy after all.... 


Enjoy!
Claud

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I used the pillsbury pizza dough last night to make a chicken-pesto-goat cheese pizza and thought it was great...maybe the pesto masked the 'biscuit' taste!

    Something I'd like to share - quinoa (pronounced keen-wah). It's a seed that can be eaten as a grain and is a COMPLETE protein! It is also gluten free, which makes it easier to digest than grains.
    I recently discovered it and am basically in love. Great as a side with fish, vegetarian dishes, or maybe even chicken. It's a little bland...so use lemon zest or salt to flavor it.

    I am now an official follower, Claudia! So don't be surprised when I ask you about your recipes when I see you. =)

    -Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jerry! I am pretty sure I saw some quinoa at whole foods today when I went for lunch! Not 100% sure, but pretty sure :) I'll try it next time! I am always looking for new sides, and healthy is definitely a plus!

    Thanks for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Claudia!!

    I tried making Stromboli at home following your directions and it came out great. My husband loved it! I love you blog and look forward to more recipes!!:)

    Sheena

    ReplyDelete