Tuesday, January 5, 2010

DIY: Croutons

Let's talk Croutons.  Last night I decided to make my own, and I have to say, they turned out great! We're talkin' I-vow-to-never-buy-again good. Here's an original from your's truly!


Homemade Croutons
1 small baguette - I used a frozen loaf. I wouldn't recommend using fresh bread (aka the kind you eat half of on the drive home), it's just too soft. Semi-stale bread or bread that's a few days old works well. 
Olive Oil
1 tbsp dried Italian spices (or whatever spices you want)
Butter - I prefer butter made from yogurt, it's lighter and not as caloric as regular butter
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper


Preheat the oven to 400.  Cut baguette into small crouton sized pieces. Place pieces in a medium sized bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss until coated.  Add very small pieces of butter (the reason I don't add this before cutting is because that can get messy), then add spices, salt and pepper. Place pieces on an oven-safe pan covered in foil and bake for 12-15 minutes or until desired crispiness.


My Pick:




A few of the leftovers post bake:




The perfect addition to a turkey chef salad:




And just for laughs... Matt likes to point out that I often leave the oven on....




Enjoy!
Claud

No comments:

Post a Comment