Monday, January 4, 2010

Steak + Rosemary Roasted New Potatoes = Delicious

Last night I went to my parent's house for a little "goodbye" dinner for my brother who is headed back to school after a nice little holiday break (oh how I miss those!).  On the menu was New York strip, broccoli, and green beans, so of course I offered to bring my favorite steak side: Rosemary Roasted New Potatoes.  If you haven't made them before, do it! They're super simple, very tasty, and absolutely perfect with steak.    


Here's my favorite recipe courtesy of Luby's: 
5 lbs small red potatoes, halved 
1 cup olive oil 
2 tbsp chopped fresh garlic
2 tbsp of chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper


Preheat oven to 350. Put potato halves in a large mixing bowl and add olive oil, garlic and rosemary.  Toss ingredients together well. Place seasoned potatoes on a foil-lined large baking pan and place in oven. Roast about 45 minutes until the potatoes are slightly browned and tender. Remove pan from oven and place potatoes on a serving platter. Season with salt and pepper.  Stir roasting potatoes a few times during cooking to achieve even browning. 


TIPS
1. Be sure to rinse the potatoes! Sometimes they have bits of dirt...




2. After rinsing the potatoes, be sure to dry them well, it'll help the olive oil stick.




3. I like to quarter the larger potatoes otherwise the potato to skin ratio just doesn't seem right! Especially with the larger potatoes... 




4. Use extra virgin olive oil, it has a lighter taste.


5. In my opinion, chopped Rosemary tastes just as good as fresh! However, when buying dried herbs, remember that they only keep their flavor for 6 months to a year, so buy small. 


6. Use less salt then specified. You can always add more, but if you overdo it, you're just stuck with salty potatoes. Also, be sure the salt is relatively fine. The first time I made these, I used "coarse" sea salt and the crystals were too big.


7. Bake them about 5-10 minutes longer than specified. After 45 minutes they still seemed just a tad bit too light.  This could just be my oven since it runs about 5 degrees cooler than what it's set to.


Lastly, I like my potatoes kind of crispy, so I think next time I'll bump up the temperature to 375 or 400 to see if that helps. (If you have any tips for crispier potatoes, please let me know!)  Either way this side is a definite crowd pleaser!


Before baking, note the light color:




After:




And just to make your mouth water, here's what it looked like when it all came together! Delicious!




Cheers!
Claud



No comments:

Post a Comment