Monday, January 18, 2010

DIY: Not-Your-Average Pizza

So let me tell you about me and pizza.  I really can't say that I have a favorite food (it's too hard to pick!), but if I had to narrow it down, pizza would definitely be on the list.  I just can't turn it down - the sauce... the cheese...mmmm!  Now don't ask me New York or Chicago - I love both, but since I don't live in either city, and it isn't exactly a healthy meal, I learned how to make my own, and let me tell you, it definitely satisfies the craving.


You can put just about anything on a pizza, so I'll tell you the basics, my favorite ingredients, and you can go from there!  


Ingredients
1 pre-made pizza crust (thin crust works best, and if making a personal sized pie, pita bread is the way to go)
1 jar of your favorite 'spaghetti' sauce (you can use marinara, it has the most consistent texture, but I prefer sauces with a little added flavor like garlic, herb and fire-roasted tomato) 
1-15 oz can of reduced sodium, fire-roasted tomatoes (I LOVE chunks of tomato, and canned is the definitely the best for pizza)
1 package of Italian (or Mozzarella) shredded cheese
Sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
Roasted red bell pepper, chopped (you can roast a bell pepper ahead of time in the oven or on a comal/cast iron skillet)
Fresh basil, thinly sliced
1-4 oz. can of sliced black olives


Directions
First pre-heat the oven to 425 (if the directions on the crust packaging states a different temperature, go with it).  Next, brush the pizza crust lightly with olive oil and place in pre-heated oven for 8-10 minutes until lightly toasted.  Remove crust and layer generously with tomato sauce (1 full sized pizza takes about 1/3 -1/2 a jar of tomato sauce).  Add vegetables and basil:




Cover with shredded cheese. I've found that if you put the vegetables under the cheese it keeps them from over cooking. When they're on top (especially the basil) they tend to cook faster than the time it takes to melt the cheese and heat the pizza throughout.  You can also layer the veggies and cheese for a more cheesy pizza, just make sure the cheese is on top and veggies underneath. 




Remove from oven and enjoy!




My other favorite, Pesto Chicken, follows the same directions but with the following ingredients:
1 pre-made pizza crust (or pita for personal pies)
1 small jar of pesto (or make your own!)
2-3 cooked chicken breasts, sliced (use light seasoning, you don't want the flavors to compete with the pesto)
1-4oz. can of sliced black olives
1/2 cup of chopped jarred artichokes 
1 small container of goat cheese crumbles
1 package of Italian (or Mozzarella) shredded cheese


Spread pesto on lightly toasted crust.  Add sliced chicken, olives, artichokes and top with shredded and crumbled goat cheese.  Again, you can layer alternating ingredients for a more cheesy taste, just make sure a layer of cheese is on top.


Aside from being one of my favorite things to make (and one of my most requested recipes), this elegant twist on pizza makes for an amazing dinner date.  The whole experience is fun, affordable and something you and your significant other can easily do together.  My husband Matt and I made these for Valentine's day one year, and it was so fun!  Just top it off with a glass of pinot noir, and that's what I call the perfect evening. 

Give it a try, I promise you'll love 'em. 


Cheers!
Claud

1 comment: