Wednesday, August 11, 2010

DIY: Thai-Style Stir-Fried Chicken & Basil


Remember my week of intimidating Asian recipes? I know, it might be difficult, it been a whole two months - eek! I can't believe how time flies.  In the past two months, we've searched for a house, found a house, bought the house, renovated, painted and gotten really close to moving into the house, and man has it been busy! I was reminded this week how important it is to do things you love, so here we are.

If you have cravings for Thai food, but are hesitant to consume the calories (because Lord knows you won't eat just half), then you should definitely give this one a try.  It was tasty, satisfying, and felt healthy all at the same time!  I will say that it was not the same as your favorite Thai takeout, but it was a great, simple weeknight dinner nonetheless.


Notes:
  • I only used 2 shallots and it seemed like plenty, so my advice is to use sparingly.
  • Add peanuts.  It just seemed like the right thing to do, and I just can't imagine this dish without them!
  • Be generous on the seasoning. This could be because I used slightly more than 1 lb of chicken, and I did regular white rice as opposed to Jasmine, but I had to add a little extra fish sauce to give it that umph. And speaking of fish sauce, don't be afraid!  This ingredient was one of the very reasons I started this challenge. I was unfamiliar with it, I had no idea where to buy, and 'fish sauce'?... Well folks, just follow the recipe (for the most part), buy it at your local grocery store, and it's really not so 'fishy' after all, so there.
  • Who uses just 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes? Pile those babies on! Maybe it's just me, but I don't even notice the 1/4 tsp. I need that noticeable kick, so I just sprinkled in until it seemed like enough. :) 


Cheers!
Claud

No comments:

Post a Comment